Sunday 14 October 2007

Mums ‘Foolproof’ Shortbread Biscuits

Apologies for not having posted for a while. This week I was hit by that nasty flu/cold virus that appears around this time of year. I’ve had lot of soup and hot drinks and am now feeling almost ‘normal’ again.

A few days ago I received an email from Luisa who asked me if I had any recipes for shortbread that could be made into mince pies. I think it’s a little early to start making mince pies but by a freaky coincidence I had chosen to make shortbread biscuits for works Monday Munchers.

The recipe is from my Mum and one that she got off the back of a packet of Stork margarine when at university. They are so quick to make and I have memories of her baking them when she was expecting friends round for morning coffee. They are called foolproof as they always produce nice crispy biscuits even if you over handle the dough a bit. However, I’m sure you could use butter instead for a more authentic shortbread.

The dough comes together in your hands in under 10minutes and is easy to roll out and stamp biscuits from. The dough resembles pastry in its qualities and I’m certain it would lend itself very well to little pies or tarts. It produces a crisp, crunchy biscuit with a slightly crumbly texture. It also takes well to the addition of choc chips, currants or vanilla.

So Luisa, give this recipe a try and let me know what you think. If you were wanting more of a soft, crumbly shortbread for your mince pies I have found some other recipes that look promising and have attached the links at the bottom of the page.

Mums ‘Foolproof’ Shortbread Biscuits
Ingredients
4oz (105g) Stork margarine
6oz (175g) plain flour
2 oz (55g) caster sugar
Add choc chips or currants if desired.

Method
Preheat the oven to 150C.
Place all the ingredients into a bowl and rub them together using your fingers.
When mostly combined and clumps start to form, work/kneed the dough into a ball.
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to around 5mm thick, and cut out rounds, re-rolling any excess dough.
Place on baking sheet and scatter over a little extra caster sugar.
Bake for 30 - 40 minutes until ever so lightly golden at the edges.
Transfer to a wire wrack to cool.
Makes 12-14 biscuits.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

These look good. I'm going to send you an email. I have a couple questions about the biscuits.

Peabody said...

I always get thrown off by them being called biscuts. They look good though.

Carolyn said...

Thank you for sharing the recipe - it looks nice and easy