Tuesday 7 July 2009

Rhubarb Ripple Bundt Cake

My grandmother grows rhubarb in the garden and a few weeks ago she kindly gave me the last of her crop. I wanted to bake something with it and while I was thinking what to make I suddenly remembered I had a brand new bundt tin that I hadn’t even used since I bought it several weeks ago – how did that happen? So I knew it was going to have to be a rhubarb bundt cake. If you don’t have a bundt tine, I’m sure a deep cake tin would work just as well.

I decided to roast the rhubarb before rippling some through the cake batter and adding the rest as a fruity middle layer within the cake. The cake batter contains a lot of yoghurt which gives it a wonderfully smooth and creamy texture and helps keep it moist and tender. I also added a little glace ginger into the mix and then doused the baked cake with a fresh ginger syrup. This helped give the cake a lovely sheen and a subtle ginger flavour.

Rhubarb Ripple Bundt Cake
Ingredients

700g rhubarb
175g caster sugar
200g butter
2 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
375g self raising flour
260g natural yogurt
½ tsp baking powder
20g glace ginger, from a jar

For the syrup
45g caster sugar
50ml water
25ml ginger syrup from the glace ginger jar
20g fresh ginger, sliced

Method
Preheat oven to 180C. Trim and slice the rhubarb into 2cm slices and toss through 55g of the caster sugar. Place in a single layer in a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes until tender. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
Place the butter, remaining sugar and vanilla in a bowl and cream together until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, don’t worry if it looks slightly curdled.
Finely chop the ginger and add to the mix along with the flour, baking powder and yogurt. Beat until well combined and silky.
Stir two-thirds of the baked sliced rhubarb through the cake batter and lightly crush the remaining rhubarb until soft but not smooth.
Spoon half of the cake batter into a 23cm bundt tin or 20cm deep round cake tin. Spread the remaining crushed rhubarb over the surface and top with the last half of the cake batter.
Smooth the top and bake in the oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes, cover quickly with foil after the first 40 minutes to prevent from over browning.
Once baked, remove from the oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes until removing from the tin, drizzling with the ginger syrup and allowing to cool completely.

To make the syrup, add the water, ginger syrup, sugar and sliced fresh ginger into a small pan. Bring the boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
Reduce to a simmer and allow to bubble for 10 minutes to reduce and turn syrupy.
Allow to cool slightly before using.
Makes one 23cm bundt cake or one 20cm deep round cake.

11 comments:

Nora said...

Pretty much any rhubarb cake is a winner with me, but that one looks particularly beautiful and delicious. Just yummy!

Snooky doodle said...

what a nice cake. the addition of rhubarb must be delicious :)

Simones Kitchen said...

I love rhubarb! I just never seem to be able to remember when they are in season. They - unfortunately - do not pop up in the shops here, so I always have to look for them.
Your cake looks perfect!

Shoshana said...

That cake looks amazing! I love the idea of roasting the rhubarb first before adding it to the cake.

♥Rosie♥ said...

I love rhubarb and this is one great bundit cake katie! It looks delicious.

Sam said...

I really like thw rhubarb/ginger combination, this cake looks beautiful!

Abitofafoodie said...

I am a complete sucker for anything containing rhubarb and ginger together. This looks brilliant and I could really do with a slice right now!

Nic said...

Glad you found such a great recipe to use with that lovely pan, looks good!

Elle said...

What a gorgeous cake! Love the idea of the ginger syrup as a glaze. Anything rhubarb is great and pairing it with the tang of yogurt is inspired. Yum!

Caroline said...

It looks really attractive - love the cake tin! The rhubarb and ginger combo sounds like a real winner too - bet it tastes great!

The Caked Crusader said...

Drool....I love rhubarb cake! My rhubarb cakes always look rustic but, by using that lovely tin, you've made yours elegant. I could eat the whole thing!