Friday 7 May 2010

Rhubarb & Rosewater Breakfast Sundae

I made this for breakfast this morning and just had to share it with you. It was a spur of the moment thing, well sort of. I had made the roasted rhubarb the night before and left it in a bowl in the fridge. I find roasted rhubarb much better than stewing it as it retains its shape and texture. I love all the different colours too. Pearly pinks, pastel greens and dark ruby reds. I didn’t have any real intentions for it apart from using on top of porridge, spooned over some leftover cake or with a bit of ice cream for dessert.

When I woke up this morning, it was still very early but I got up anyway and opened my curtains and was greeted by a stunning morning sunrise. The sky was mottled pink and yellow and the sun was just peeping over the trees and glowing a deep golden orange. I couldn’t help but smile.

In the kitchen I remembered the roasted rhubarb I had made the night before and opened the fridge in search of breakfast inspiration. Porridge just wasn’t going to cut it on such a bright and sunny morning. My eyes settled on some fromage frais and I decided that rhubarb, fromage frais on some cereal sounded nice, but as I gathered together the ingredients my mind got to work and I detoured away from the bowl cupboard and towards the glasses – the idea for a breakfast sundae was forming and in my head it looked delicious.

I started off with a generous spoonful of the rhubarb. I adore its pretty pink colour, just stunning. I had roasted it in the oven with just a scattering of sugar and then stirred through some rosewater to give it a lovely summery floral note. Rosewater may sound an odd ingredient to add, but to me the rhubarbs shiny pink juices and its sweet tangy flavour just seemed the perfect combination to the rosewaters musky fragrance. It certainly smelt heavenly, the colour and aroma of summer.

Next I added a layer of fromage frais and a generous scattering of muesli before repeating the steps until I had my layered rhubarb and rosewater scented breakfast sundae!

As the rhubarb was already prepared putting it all together was the work of moments. It was one of the tastiest breakfasts I’ve had in ages. I like my rhubarb quite tangy so I hadn’t added too much sugar during cooking meaning it was soft and tangy, the rose sweeping in with a subtle floral perfume before the cool milky fromage frais soothed the taste buds ready for the next spoonful. The muesli added a lovely texture, some mouthfuls crispy, others complemented with a chewy raisin or a toasted hazelnut. A most delicious and tranquil way to start the day.

Rhubarb & Rosewater Breakfast Sundae
Ingredients
4 tbsp roasted rhubarb & rosewater (see below)
4 tbsp fromage frais or Greek yoghurt
3 tbsp muesli

For the Rhubarb
8 sticks of rhubarb
6 tbsp caster sugar
1 tbsp rosewater

Method – Roasted Rhubarb
Heat the oven to 170C.
Discard the leaves from the rhubarb before chopping it into 2cm long chunks. Place into a deep baking tray and scatter over the sugar. Mix gently to allow the sugar to coat the rhubarb.
Bake for 15 minutes until soft, tender and some sweet sticky juices have been released. Gently stir through the rosewater and allow to cool in the pan before using. Store in a bowl in the fridge until required.
Will keep for 3-4 days in the fridge.
Note: this will yield more rhubarb than you need for the sundae, but leftovers are great on cereal, porridge, desserts, cake, with custard or ice cream etc.

Breakfast Sundae
Have ready 4 tablespoons of your rose scented rhubarb and some of the juices into a small bowl.
Place a third of the rhubarb into the base of a tall glass and drizzle with a little of the juices. Cover with a third of the fromage frais or yoghurt and half the amount (a generous scattering) of your favourite muesli or granola. Top with another third of rhubarb, more yoghurt and the remaining half of the muesli.
Finish with the final spoonful of yoghurt and the last few chunks of rhubarb and its pink juices.
Eat with a tall spoon and enjoy a fresh, fragrant and tasty start to your day.

14 comments:

Suelle said...

This looks delicious. I prefer to 'roast' rhubarb too - adding orange flower water adds a lovely flavour, if you haven't got rosewater.

Johanna GGG said...

wow second time I have seen rhubarb paired with rosewater today - must be the thing to do - and I am looking forward to trying it

mr. pineapple man said...

mmm looks delicious!

Las Vegas Workers Compensation said...

Rosewater seems like an interesting and appropriate ingredient for spring and summer. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Beth (jamandcream) said...

How luxurious - I like it roasted

Caroline said...

That looks like such a lovely summery breakfast! I too like my fruit on the tart side, I expect it would work well with gooseberries too.

Monica H said...

Ooh this is pretty!

The Muesli Lover said...

Love the layered fruit and yoghurt - looks too good to eat! What is it about roasted rhubarb that's so much better than softening it in a pan?

Kare said...

Wow. I'm impressed. I've never roasted rhubarb - must try it.

Chele said...

What a good idea. I love roasted rhubarb but never thought of adding it as a breakfast item. Will be tryign this out next weekend for sure!

The Caked Crusader said...

What a nice way to use rhubarb! I love it roasted so it's softened but not collapsed

Unknown said...

Ah beautiful! I've never had rhubarb, so I don't know if it's better roastes, steamed or anything!!

Peabody said...

What a great way to use rhubarb.

Johanna GGG said...

hi katie - just letting you know I have given you an award at http://gggiraffe.blogspot.com/2010/05/awards-and-kreativ-meme.html – do the meme and pass on the award if you like but no pressure if you don't have the time and/or inclination!