Friday 17 September 2010

Chocolate & Peanut Butter Cupcakes

We are nearing the end of National Cupcake Week, only two more days eat as many cupcakes as possible and shrug it off with a ‘well it is National Cupcake Week.’ In the end I didn’t manage to organise a cupcake party (everyone was busy) but I did manage to bake a batch of cupcakes to share around and spread the cupcake yumminess.

As cupcakes are an American invention I decided to go with chocolate and peanut butter cupcakes. Not only a delicious combination, but also one that is decidedly American.

The chocolate cupcakes were good, but to me their main purpose was as a carrier for the divine peanut butter frosting. This is a recipe I have adapted from a standard vanilla buttecream recipe and one I have made lots of times in the past few months. It produces a thick, yet creamy peanut butter buttercream that’s not too sweet and is intensely flavoured with peanut. There is nothing worse than being promised a peanut butter flavour only to find it practically non existent.

After a swirl of the frosting I added some chocolate covered peanuts to decorate and add a bit of crunch. As I’m sure everyone has got their own favourite chocolate cupcake recipe I am only giving the frosting recipe below (leftovers taste great on toast too – shh!)

Peanut Butter Frosting
Ingredients
70g butter
80g smooth peanut butter
260g icing sugar
25-40ml milk

Method
Make sure the butter is soft. Cream the butter together with the peanut butter until smooth and well combined.
Add the icing sugar, a third at a time, mixing well until incorporated. Add the milk as and when needed if it becomes a bit stiff.
Use more milk to slacken the frosting to the right piping consistency.
Fill a piping bag fitted with a large star nozzle. Pipe on top of your chosen cupcakes and decorate with a few chocolate covered peanuts to decorate.
Eat and enjoy.
Makes enough for 12 cupcakes

8 comments:

Caroline said...

They look so pretty Katie! I love the idea of the peanut butter frosting.... must try that soon. Peanuts are one of the couple of nuts I can actually eat - yippee!

Suelle said...

These look so good! Love the chocolate covered peanuts on top!

Chele said...

Such cute little cupcakes - can't wait to give this recipe a try ;0)

Sam said...

They sound so good, chocolate and peanuts are a delicious combination. I have to admire your piping skills, the cupcakes look perfect!

Choclette said...

These look lovely with the swirly icing on top.

Monica H said...

Oh my goodness now I want some of that frosting on toast with bananas. That sounds so good!

Maria♥ said...

Katie, these look so delish.

Maria
x

Unknown said...

That frosting looks diving!! Love the chocolate covered peanuts :)