Tuesday 11 January 2011

Blog Award – 10 Questions…

A few days ago the lovely Alicia of The Red Deer gave me a blog award which comes with 10 questions to answer. It’s fun as some of the questions are different to the usual foodie ones. Thanks Alicia!

Why did you create the blog?
I discovered blogs in my first year at Uni. I was instantly attracted to the idea that anyone could write, photograph and talk about food in any way they wished. I loved discovering there were so many foodies out there as well as a vast variety of recipes, ingredients and dishes I had never heard of before. I became quite obsessed finding new blogs to read and recipe to try. Within a few months decided to set up my own and have loved being ‘a blogger’ ever since.

What kind of blogs do you follow?
I love any blog involving baking or desserts. I find them such a great source of inspiration as well as gaining valuable knowledge about different cuisines, cultures and trends. I’m often left feeling hungry and jealous at the vast variety of sweet treats and baking ingredients available to American bloggers. The UK is getting better, but we are still far behind America. I also enjoy reading Vegetarian and Gluten Free blogs as they have been invaluable at helping me adapt to my gluten free diet and are great for when I’m stuck for meal ideas. I love bloggers who share a bit about themselves or the occasion behind creating the food in question, over time you get a real insight into their lives and personalities and it makes them feel like friends you can relate to.

Favourite makeup brand?
Don’t have one. I don’t wear a lot of make up and the ones I do are often picked up from Boots, The Body Shop or gifts from friends or family.

Favourite clothing brand?
I love the clothes from Next. I know that’s not particularly glamorous but they fit me well and it’s my kind of style. I’ve just discovered a new brand called Apricot and am loving their clothes too.

Your indispensable makeup product?
Mascara. I don’t sleep that well and always have bags under my eyes, but I find mascara is great at widening the eyes and making me look more awake.

Your favourite colour?
Purple! I love most shades of purple from dusky lilacs to moody aubergine. Believe it or not I actually bought my old phone for the pure reason it was purple! I got a new black one for Christmas, but have just bought a purple phone cover protector for it. I plan to one day have purple cupboards in my kitchen!

Your perfume?
I don’t wear perfume that often except on special occasions. However, my favourite is Paradise which is sold by Next.

Your favourite film?
It would have to be The Sound of Music. It brings back very happy memories of my childhood when my sister and I would watch it obsessively. We knew all the songs and I would often dream about being one of the Von-Trap children, running about on the hillside, having picnics and exploring.

What country would you like to visit and why?
Ohh that’s a hard one. Like Alicia I would love to explore more of France, especially as my ancestors are actually from the Alsace region of France. I’ve been to France once before and loved tasting all their different breads and pastries; their fresh figs and apricots are unbelievable! However, I found they didn’t understand the concept of a Vegetarian diet very well and as I was diagnosed with coeliac disease a few months back its probably best I avoid the temptations of France for a while. I’d love to visit India or Japan as I think their food is amazing, plus they do lots of things for Veggies. I’d be too scared to go without someone who knew the area though. Also, I’d never turn down the chance to go back to America either!

Make up the last question and answer it yourself
What is your motto?
My motto would is ‘Onwards and Upwards!’ I see no point on dwelling on the past. Sometimes things happen that make us feel down or sad but in my view there is no point mooching around and forever thinking ‘what if?’ or ‘poor me.’ Of course it’s natural to feel upset by things for a while, but then I think it’s important to pick ourselves up and look to the future. It’s full of hope and promise and who knows what tomorrow, or even the next year will bring. Don’t view things as problems, see them as exciting challenges which you are going to figure out how to overcome. I’m a firm believer in a Positive Mental Attitude!

I would like to pass this award and 10 question challenge onto the following 10 bloggers:
Marie of The English Kitchen
Lorraine of Not Quite Nigella
Patricia of Technicolor Kitchen
Johanna of Green Gourmet Giraffe
Emily of Sugar Plum
Michelle of Brown Eyed Baker
Karina of Gluten Free Goddess
Anne of I Heart Cupcakes
Cupcake Crazy Gem
Chele of Chocolate Teapot

9 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Congrats on the award Katie and thanks so much for passing it my way! It is an honor to be included in such good company! xx

K Allrich said...

Thank you for including me in your list of lovely bloggers. Happy New Year! xox Karina

Chele said...

I echo Marie and Karina's words, thanks very much, there are some great blogs on that list ;0)
Lovely to find out a bit more about yourself as well.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Thankyou so much for the honour Katie and congratulations on your own award! It's great getting to know you a bit better and I can see that we have a lot of common! Definitely onwards and upwards! :D

Emily said...

Thanks so much! This seems like a lot of fun. I enjoyed getting to know more about you. :)

Patricia Scarpin said...

Thank you for the award, Katie!
xx

Cupcake Crazy Gem said...

Thanks for tagging me in this...I'm totally with you on the purple thing! and thanks for the tip about coating my bitter cookies in white chocolate - that would have been a good save! I'll try that in the future, my husband's already gobbled up all the ones from the other day!

Johanna GGG said...

lovely answers - I love the thought of your kitchen cupboards being purple - I have always loved green and I think I partly brought our place because the front door and walls were green - what a win! Shame about celiacs and france - the bread and baking there is too good - wonder if they are on the gluten free bandwagon with options?

Thanks for adding me to the list - always makes me feel good about blogging to be part of the circle of friendship that these awards and questions embrace - will be answering these questions but might not be straight away!

Johanna GGG said...

Hi Katie - have done this tag - it was a lot of fun - thanks

http://gggiraffe.blogspot.com/2011/04/memes-are-due-thanks-are-due.html