Tuesday 28 June 2011

Very Berry Frozen Yoghurt

Wow has it been HOT these past few days. You know the feeling when you open the oven door after its been on high, only to be blasted by a wall of hot air, well its felt a bit like that at times these past few days. I’m not complaining through as I love warm weather, plus its perfect ice cream eating conditions!

Sunday was particularly hot and I fancied something cool and refreshing. Ice cream is all well and good but it can be a little rich and over creamy when you’re melting in the heat. Something fresher and lighter was required and as I’d been meaning to try making frozen yoghurt, I decided now would be the ideal time to try it out.

This recipe couldn’t be simpler. It takes a matter of moments to put together and no heating or custard making is required, plus it uses only 3 simple ingredients (I also added a little blackcurrant liqueur, but this is optional). I had a bag of mixed frozen berries in the freezer which I allowed to thaw a little before using. I wanted to keep them partially frozen so they wouldn’t get completely broken down during churning, but I wanted them to defrost just enough to release some of their gorgeously vibrant juices.

A little sugar to sweeten and a tub of natural yoghurt and you’re all set. The softer blackberries broke down quite a lot, while the little blackcurrants remained relatively whole. This made them taste like little balls of sorbet suspended in the frozen yoghurt, giving an intense burst of flavour when one was bit into. They were quite sharp, but against the sweeter, creamier yoghurt base this was highly refreshing and perfect for a hot day.

The yoghurt itself was soft and creamy, yet a lot lighter and more refreshing than an ice cream. All the berry juice made it a sort of cross between an ice cream and a sorbet. Delicious, and I adore its moody purple colour. The crème de cassis wasn’t obvious (I only added a smidgen) but it seemed to give a depth of flavour to the fruitiness of the berries and meant it didn’t set quite so solid, great for scooping out ‘just one more spoonful’

Very Berry Frozen Yoghurt
Ingredients
400g mixed frozen berries (mine was a mixed bag of strawberries, blackberries, red & black currants)
500g thick natural yoghurt (not low fat or sweetened)
100g caster sugar
1 tbsp crème de cassis (blackcurrant liqueur – optional)

Method
Place the frozen berries in a large bowl and sprinkle over the caster sugar. Leave to stand for 1 hour to allow the berries to thaw slightly, releasing their juices and mixing with the sugar. Give them a stir ever so often. Don’t allow them to defrost completely, as you want them to remain some structure during freezing.
When the berries are slightly thawed, stir in the yoghurt and liqueur, if using.
Freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker until thick and almost frozen, about 30 minutes.
The partially thawed berries should break down slightly, releasing their fabulous purple juices, while still allowing some berry texture to remain.
Scoop out and enjoy straight away or transfer to a tupperware box and freeze until required.
Makes about 1 litre frozen yoghurt

16 comments:

Johanna GGG said...

how lovely to get such a pretty pink just from berries - sounds perfect for hot weather

Unknown said...

Wow, the setting you did looks so good along side of the frozen yogurt, which looks so good right now.

Please Do Not Feed The Animals. said...

What's with the 3 spoons? Surely you didn't share this with two other people??? I would have kept it to myself - it's healthy enough to not have to share!

Caroline said...

What a beautiful colour. I love the idea of using ready frozen fruit so that you don't break it all down.

Frozen yogurt sounds perfect for the warmer weather we're finally having!

Kate@whatkatebaked said...

My next kitchen purchase is most definately going to be an ice cream maker- I've been very much inspired by your delicious posts and in this weather, heck, ice cream surely constitutes supper right?

Unknown said...

Looks divine! I love the addition of casis. Really lovely and surely healthy too? Need to dust off the ice cream maker!

ninalazina said...

That looks absolutely delicious. Now to make it.Hmmm..now, hold on. My husband loves yoghurt ... so perhaps I could persuade him to make it! okay - going to put this on his Facebook!
Great Recipe
NinaLaZina

Elle said...

Yeah, I can see you might want another scoop! Perfect recipe for berry season and for the heat.

Donna (Texas) said...

Sounds and looks Wonderful! Have to try it!
Have a great weekend!

Chele said...

Love the colour! I actually bought an ice cream maker yesterday, just a small cheap one, but I finally decided to bite the bullet after all your wonderful posts!

Angie's Recipes said...

This berry frozen yoghurt looks so good! I love fuss free recipes like this.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

That looks absolutely scrumptious Katie! And what a lovely colour too! :)

Choclette said...

What a beautiful photograph, you make it look so tempting. I'd quite like to give this a go, but without an ice-cream maker am a bit wary of getting great lumps of ice. Think I'll have to try it though - lovely idea.

Simones Kitchen said...

I so love frozen yogurt. I think I like the taste even more then regular icecream plus it doesn't make me feel so bad. I have at the moment popsicles in the freezer featuring raspberries and vanilla yogurt. Perfect treat on a warm day. Now only if that warmth would actually arrive...

Cupcake Crazy Gem said...

yes being the apple lover you are you would have really loved that layer stack cake! The Kunnegunda can also be made with apples too! This frozen yoghurt looks soo delicious and I love the spoons in your pic too!

buy wow account said...

OMG! this looks so divine...love this one.=)